19 June 2006

My Jury Duty is Complete

I've had sneezes that took longer to complete than this year's jury duty. Yesterday I got excited because I was told to call back today between 11 and 12. I let myself imagine that I'd have to hurry out the door to report to the court room by 2PM and then get selected to be on a case like the Susan Polk trial. No such luck.

It all started many years ago watching Perry Mason on TV. Somehow it seemed my mom was able to figure out who dunnit and I couldn't even follow the story line very well. But I got to bring one of those wax paper sandwich bags filled with potato chips into the living room to enjoy during the show. In those days I don't know what I enjoyed most. Maybe it was just how smart Perry Mason was. And he was always in charge and in control.

Today I appreciate the same things but I also notice the furniture, lamps, cars, clothes and most important of all the big breakdown scene in court at the end where the big reveal takes place. It was so dramatic.

I like the way the Perry Mason character's mind works. And later on I became a big fan of the Vulcans on Star Trek all the way up to T'Pol on Star Trek: Enterprise. I can't say enough about the virtues of emotional detachment.

No comments: