19 April 2007

My Cat's Food May Be Tainted!

This morning I discovered the frightening news that the nationwide pet food recall has been expanded and the dry food I've been giving my cats has been added to the list. What a nightmare!

I'd be frantic right now if I hadn't just taken Pewter to the vet and, only yesterday, gotten a real good report from his blood and urine tests. He has chronic problems but at least there's no sign of anything else. His weight loss is probably due to his fussy G.I. tract.

It's unlikely that I got any of the tainted food. But I don't know. The company has recalled all of it even though the tainted sample was only used on specific production dates. I'll gladly return it and wait to buy more until Pewter's delicate gut is mended.

China seems to be very protective in their response to this problem. From the KTVU.com website story:

A lawmaker said Wednesday the Chinese have refused to grant visas to FDA
inspectors seeking to visit the plants where the ingredients were made. An FDA
spokesman later said the visas were not refused but that the agency had not
received the necessary invitation letter to get visas.

"It troubles me greatly the Chinese are making it more difficult to understand what led to this pet food crisis," Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., told The Associated Press after
meeting with the FDA commissioner, Dr. Andrew von Eschenbach.


What troubles me greatly is the fact that we really don't know what's in our food any more because so much of what we eat is prepared and packaged somewhere other than in our own kitchen. I'm afraid this will become a more common issue in food manufactured for humans in the near future (if it hasn't already.)

No comments: