08 July 2006

A Burning Black Blob of Black Smoke and Bl, uh, Flames

Traffic is unpredictable at any time and so I've learned to dial 511 to check for driving times and find out what incidents might need to be avoided.

511 is an automated system that calculates driving time between certain points in the SF Bay area using the bridge toll transponders that we keep on our windshields. It's a clever system. Aside from the potential issue of literally being tracked, it allows people to get an up-to-the-minute report on what's happening on the highways.

Yesterday I wasn't surprised to find a slowdown on the 880/980 Northbound interchange in Oakland because the system reported a slowdown there. But I was surprised to find a burning car. You don't see those every day. But I've seen several and they always make me wonder "why."

With my camera at my side and wishing my windshield was cleaner, I put down all the windows, got my camera ready and started taking pictures when I saw that something was burning and putting out a lot of smoke ahead:














And then I realized that I was about to drive right into the smoke with all my windows open. But I didn't think to hold my breath. I just wanted a few good photos.


But in the end, all I really got was my lungs full of black smoke that smelled like burning plastic and rubber and a photo of a ball of flames as I drove by:










I can guess what the causes of car fires are. I've seen some scary ones along the freeways in hot and cold weather. They must be frightening for the people in the car. And cars must not blow up as easily as they do on TV where when one little thing goes wrong and BANG the car blows up. Still, I'm curious about car fires. I'd like to see a documentary on them some day with profiles of the people and their cars.

No comments: