27 July 2006

The Cake Story and the Story of the Cake

(Click on the photo for a larger version. Give your eyes a break!)

Thanks again, Leslie and Macario (and Emma Rose) for the thoughtful birthday gift.

(The following is an excerpt from Leslie's Blog)

That backstory is that a few summers back Jim and his friend were in Hawai'i, going around the islands on a cruise, and hung out with us the day their ship was in port at Hilo. It happened to be Jim's birthday, and I baked him a pineapple upside down cake, with pineapple from our garden, and it was a hit.

This year I told Jim to come over for his birthday and I'd bake him another one, and when he wouldn't/couldn't/didn't, I went online and sent him a pineapple upside down cake.

For awhile it was an "alleged" birthday gift, as he describes it, because there was some discrepancy between my definition of "overnight delivery" (over one night) and the company's (one day after they actually send it out for delivery, whenever that happens to be). So after awhile I asked Jim if something from me had arrived and then for days we chatted about the "alleged birthday gift" --without him knowing what it was (he was worried it was going to be a bunch of hula dancers doing a singing telegram).

It finally showed up at his doorstep today. I loved getting to see "the rest of the story" in photos.


No comments: