01 September 2006

PROUD TO BE FROM UTAH

There's a title you don't see very often unless it's accompanied by a photo of some big-haired woman or a family of 96 gathering for Sunday dinner.

On Thursday, the mayor of Salt Lake City spoke the truth while George Bush was there, playing it safe in a safe place in a safe state. If I still lived anywhere within driving distance to SLC I would have been at the protest where Mayor Rocky Anderson gave a passionate speech that "tells it like it is."

I know what it's like to be on both sides. I understand completely the notion of being a faithful follower. But what so many people in Utah and elsewhere have forgotten is that when the leaders have strayed off course, it's up to the people to do something about it. NO BLIND FAITH.

Usually a reference to Utah is a joke. I've lived with them all my life. You can hear them coming after "you're from Utah?" People have all kinds of wacky ideas. After today my attitude is "YES!"

Please take a few minutes and read what Mayor Anderson had the guts to say with the president just a few blocks away. It's brilliant.

http://www.slcgov.com/mayor/speeches/2006%20speeches/SPdemonstration83006.pdf
or watch it here:
http://kutv.com/video/?id=18850@kutv.dayport.com

Thank you.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I went and read the speech. I vote for him for President. Wow, that guy has his head on straight. I've been thinking all those things (though not nearly as articulately) for years now and wondering why so many people play "follow the leader" so blindly. It's stunning to me.

Thanks for posting about that speech.