06 May 2006

Concerning "Mission Accomplished"

The dialogue continues in the comment thread below the "Mission Accomplished" photo in my Flickr photostream. Most people have viewed the photo without comment. Many have "fav'd" it meaning they have created a connection between their own photo pages and the ones on Flickr they like. And some have chosen to make comments.

While I feel that the primary purpose for posting photos on Flickr is so that, as artists, we can be mutually supportive and offer constructive criticism, there comes a time when it's okay to be provocative. I have such strong feelings about our current administration and the war in Iraq that I felt motivated to post the photo as a reminder to all those with feelings not to forget. An armless soldier, faceless Iraqi civilian or burned corpse of a civilian contractor would have been an entirely different message than the one I wanted to put across.

Some people question why I would post such a photo (flag-draped coffins being unloaded from an aircraft) and accuse the photographer of having some kind of agenda. After reading the latest comments tonight I responded with a few of my own. What follows is my contribution.

I don't know who took these photos. I DO know that photography isn't a crime and these images should be seen by everyone.

We'll all have different reactions. But I'm quite certain that the purpose for distributing them is to remind all of us that our soldiers are being killed. It isn't about the "good guys" and the "bad guys" because that's the stuff of fiction. Don't over-simplify the intentions of the photographer and those who keep these images alive in our minds. I, for one, have immovable respect for those who serve our country including the ones who question our leaders and their policies. That's what makes it all work.

We must continue to THINK, LISTEN, LEARN, QUESTION, and stay involved. Otherwise we will be lead astray. I believe we were purposely mislead. But even if we were mistakenly mislead we have indeed been mislead by people who are not worthy to hold the trust of the people.

That's what makes this photo so incredibly powerful. We see the absolute respect and dignity in the way the caskets are draped in our beautiful flag and the way they are being handled. The photo itself is balanced, cropped and exposed in such a way as to suggest nothing but respect.

Growing up in a military environment I did very little thinking for myself on the subjects of war, politics and patriotism. But I'll never forget the day my hero, Richard Nixon, resigned in disgrace. It was like my world had shattered. And then on subject after subject I learned the truth about many more things including the Vietnam war. And friends, the truth just isn't always pretty. Growing up was hard enough but learning that my country isn't perfect, isn't morally clean, isn't always run by saints and is subject to mistakes and evil influences was a very
tough thing to accept.

Welcome to the real world. Choose your battles, leaders and heroes carefuly but pray to God that you know the true face of your enemy.

The link to the photo and comment thread is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_worm_turns/136505221/

No comments: