11 May 2006

Neurologic Episode

Or is it neurological?

Pewter held up well, patiently waiting in his carrier in the back seat while Brad did a little grocery shopping after we picked him up from Alameda Pet Hospital last night. He was a little doped up but I couldn't really tell.

When we got home I put him in a laundry basket made all comfy with towels because I was under the impression that he'd just want to pass out. But he was only in it long enough to jump back out again and head downstairs to the feeding station. He was hungry and thirsty and he wanted dinner NOW.

The rest of the evening wasn't normal because he didn't come and sit by me while we watched The Amazing Race. Cootie, still unable to smell the Pewter he was familiar with, didn't know what to think and hissed everytime they got close. I felt bad for him but Pew didn't seem to care.

Before bed I had time to think about the long visit we had with Dr. Jen who showed me Pewter's x-rays and blood test results and went over everything in great detail. They can explain the sneezing and coughing but not the neurological event. It's a big mystery. And (now this is funny) short of doing a CAT scan, there's no real way of knowing what's happening in his brain.

At 3AM it happened again. His crying woke me up. Well, the smell from the cat box partially woke me up first. He had just gone potty and by the time I turned my light on and went into the hallway he was on his side showing signs of another episode. His eyes were going back and forth like he was watching an imaginary ping pong game and his head dropped to the right.

He knew I was there. Instead of just crying, he seemed to be complaining. I just did my best to support his head and talk quietly to him and comfort him. And he purred the whole time, even when he was crying out. When he calmed down some I got up to get a towel. Fortunately he didn't lose control this time so it was a "clean" episode. But he then walked backwards half way down the stairs. So I went down, got a towel and wrapped him up like a baby, went to the recliner and held him for about an hour while the episode ended. The whole thing lasted about 90 minutes.

Afterwards I brought him up to bed where he stayed for quite a while. When I woke up, he was gone. At about 7 when I got up to take Brad to BART, he was downstairs waiting for breakfast.

I was supposed to take him back to the vet today for observation while I went to the zoo and did other things. But I was exhausted and went back to sleep. The vet called at 10:30 wondering where I was and I told him I was going to stay home with him today. So I'm taking him in this afternoon at 4 for a follow-up appointment.

What happens after that, I don't know. I have decisions to make.

No comments: