16 May 2006

Feeling Small


It's similar to looking out an airplane window and realizing how tiny you really are.

On the ground, in the shadows of giant redwood trees I got the same feeling. I felt like that while I reflected on my cat, my life and myself. I felt like a tiny dot until the mosquitos came out.
Then I felt bigger.

The drive from San Leandro through San Jose and on to highway 17 seemed to go by quickly. While we were sailing past the scenery I tried to imagine what someone from the covered wagon era might have thought if, one night in a dream, they'd had a vision of being in my seat in the car for a few minutes. How could anyone describe that? Maybe that's why seers have written such symbolic accounts of their visions.

I thought about a lot of things looking up at the sky, trees and birds this past weekend. I thought about being small, large, old, young, helpless and powerful. I thought and thought and got a stiff neck from looking up so much. Unfortunately I couldn't really find any answers this time. I just felt very small most of the time. Weekend camping trips are too short to experience major edifying events. On day three, I was ready to relax and enjoy the day but it was time to go again.

Pewter's health problems continued to be on my mind all weekend but I had a comfortable feeling inside that he would be okay OR that I would be okay with whatever happened. When we got back in cell phone range, there was a message to call Brad's mom. That's the only time that I got nervous. But it turned out that we had left on Friday without closing the garage door.

So in addition to all the above feelings we got to feel stupid too. Yay.

We returned to find the cats happy, healthy and relaxed. I hope to repeat that discovery every time I come through the front door no matter how long I've been away.

No comments: